Champaign County Area to Add Additional Area Code
URBANA, OH, 07/10/19—The Dayton, Ohio area is expanding and getting a new area code. As the area’s number-one provider for telephone service in Champaign County, CT Comm wants to make sure that local residents remain informed regarding the new change.
Area code 937 has covered Bellefontaine, Dayton, Fairborn, Hillsboro, Marysville, Preble County, Springfield, Wilmington, Urbana, Xenia, and areas both north and east of Cincinnati since 1996. With Dayton, Ohio and surrounding areas expanding, the current area code is no longer able to accommodate the population’s need for unique number combinations. To address this, a new area code is being added: 326.
The new area code, 326, which spells out “DAO” (as in Dayton, Ohio) on a traditional keypad, is scheduled to provide overlay for the 937 area in early 2020. On February 8, 2020, traditional seven-digit calling will no longer be available and callers will have to dial ten digits to make a call. The change is expected to take place in a series of steps, with completion anticipated for January 2020.
A transition period is expected to begin August 10, 2019 with mandatory 10-digit and 11-digit dialing going into effect February 8, 2020. March 8, 2020 is the earliest that new numbers will be activated using the new 326 area code.
All local residents should be aware of the following:
- Your current telephone number, including the area code, will not change.
- If you seek new phone service after March 8, 2020, you may be assigned a phone number with the 326 area code.
- Calls currently considered local calls will remain local. Calls between 937 and 326 can be local calls.
- You will need to dial both the area code and the seven-digit telephone number for all local calls.
- You will continue to dial ‘1’ before the area code and seven-digit telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- 911 and other three-digit numbers, when available, will not change (211, 311, 411, 811, etc.)
- The price of a call, coverage area, and other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- Please remember to identify your telephone number as a 10-digit number (area code plus seven-digit telephone number), and include the area code when giving the number to friends, family, business associates, etc.
Individuals, families and businesses can be assured that the new 326 area code is recognized as valid in the following areas:
automatic dialing equipment
any other types of equipment (as applicable)
Internet dial-up numbers
alarm and security systems
mobile phone contact lists
call forwarding settings
voicemail services (and any similar functions)
personal or pet ID tags
medical alert devices
Please note: Any needed reprogramming of alarm and home security equipment should be done between August 10, 2019 and February 8, 2020.
CT Comm is available to answer any questions you have regarding this upcoming transition. Please feel free to call our Champaign County office at (937) 653-4000, option zero for CT Comm Customer Service.
Additionally, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio offers extensive information regarding the overlay plan. You can learn more by visiting this page.
Customer Service & Sales Manager
Phone: (937) 653-4000; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About CT COMM
CT Comm (www.ctcomm.net) is an Internet and network solutions provider that services businesses and residential customers in Champaign County. Established in 1898 as the Champaign County Telephone Company, CT Comm is the second-largest independently owned telecommunications company in the United States. CT Comm is committed to the innovation and strategic implementation of products and services that are relevant, critical, and valuable to the needs of local individuals, families, and businesses.